Anyone who has a business with one or more employees needs to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) mainly for tax purposes. To apply for an EIN, you need to file IRS Form SS-4 which is also known as the Application for Employer Identification Number. The filling might be done by mail, fax, or online.